Below are steps for Microsoft Windows users that should help speed up the computer or determine why the computer is running slow.
If your computer has not been rebooted recently make sure to reboot it before following any of the below steps.
Tip: To see what programs are running in the background and how much memory and CPU they are using open Task Manager. If you are running Windows 7 or higher runResmon to get a better understanding of how your computer is being used.
If you’ve got an antivirus scanner on the computer, spyware protection program, or other security utility make sure it’s not scanning your computer in the background. If a scan is in progress it can decrease the overall performance of your computer.
Free hard drive space
Bad, corrupted or fragmented hard drive
- Run ScanDisk, chkdsk, or something equivalent to verify there is nothing physically wrong with the computer hard drive.
- Run Defrag to help ensure that data is arranged in the best possible order.
- User other software tools to test the hard drive for any errors by looking at theSMART of the drive.
Scan for malware
Today, spyware and other malware is a big cause of many computer problems including a slow computer. Even if an antivirus scanner is installed on the computer we recommend running a malware scan on the computer. Use the free version ofMalwarebytes to scan your computer for malware.
- Verify that the Device Manager has no conflicts. If any exist resolve these issues as they could be the cause of your problem.
- Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed in the computer.
- If you are on the Internet when your computer is slow also make sure all browser plugins are up-to-date.
Update your drivers
If you’ve had your computer for more than two years it’s likely you’re computer is not meeting the memory requirements for today. Today, we suggest a minimum of 1GB ofmemory (RAM). By having enough memory for programs to run within memory your computer will not need to swap information stored within memory to the swap file. If your computer hard drive light is constantly active, its a good indication of your computer is swapping information betewen your memory and hard drive because of the lack of space in memory.
- Determining how much RAM is installed and available.
- What type of computer memory to use in a memory upgrade?
Hard drive upgrade
One of the biggest bottlenecks of a computer is the hard disk drive. For anyone with a slow computer or just looking for something to upgrade in the computer to improve overall system performance going from a traditional HDD to a Solid State Drive (SSD)will significantly improve the overall system performance.
Run registry cleaner
We normally do not recommend registry cleaners. However, if you have followed all of the above steps and your computer is still slow try running a registry cleaner on the computer.
Computer or processor is overheating
Make sure your computer and processor is not overheating. Excessive heat can cause a significant decrease in computer performance since most processors automatically step the speed of the processor down to help compensate compensate for the heat related issues.
Dust, dirt, and hair can also constrict a proper air flow on your computer, which can also cause a computer to overheat. Make sure your computer case is clean and fans are not obstructed.
Erase computer and start over
If none of the above solutions resolve your issues, it is recommended that you eitherreinstall Windows or erase everything and then start over.
If your computer is older than five years come to terms that it is likely the age of the computer that is causing it to be slow. Computers progress at an alarming rate as new programs and updates for programs come out their minimum requirements increase and will cause older computers to slow down. If your computer is older than five years we suggest purchasing a new computer or just realize after following the above steps it is going to run slower than a newer computer.
Finally, if your computer continues to be slower than normal after going over each of the above recommendations (including erasing and starting over) it’s possible that your computer is experiencing a more serious hardware related issue such as a failing component in the computer. This could be a failing or bad hard drive, CPU, RAM,motherboard, or other component.
- Other basic computer troubleshooting steps.
- Why is my Internet connection so slow?
- What makes a computer fast and powerful?
- Is it a good idea to change my Microsoft Windows page file size?
- See our slow definition for all links relating to slow computers.